System Control Center Analyst
Function in a mid-level analyst capacity supporting complex systems and applications used by the System Control Center (SCC). Systems and Applications include (Energy Management System) EMS, Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA), Automatic Generation Control (AGC), Interchange Metering, Energy Market Operations and associated applications Outage Coordination Software and Data Historian (PI) for Transmission and Distribution data. Requires through knowledge and experience to design, implement and maintain multiple applications and systems. Provide assistance to senior analysts for development of complex operational plans, procedures, and documentation to support operations of the System Control Center. Provide assistance in performing reviews of operational processes. Provide support to NERC reliability and cybersecurity compliance related activities of System Control Center.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (functions with percent of time spent performing function)
- Provide support to SCC Operations in troubleshooting and maintaining applications and systems used within the control center. Provide 24/7 on-call support for critical systems such as EMS on a rotational basis. Maintain high availability of critical systems used in the monitoring and control of the Generation, Transmission and Distribution system. Provide support to Balancing Area Operators in the operation of Energy Imbalance Market and Automatic Generation Control. Participate in projects developing systems and applications used in the control center. (40%)
- Maintain working knowledge of the Energy Management System used by the System Control Center (SCC) at the corporate headquarters and Corporate Readiness Center. Familiar with the EMS vendor suite of automation products and modular applications providing an operational real-time platform used by System Operators. (25%)
- Support users of advanced applications within EMS such as AGC, State Estimator, Real-time Contingency Analysis. Maintain a working knowledge of custom calculations and applications within the EMS environment and outside to support different functions of SCC. Support integration efforts between SCC systems and applications and enterprise applications as required by special projects (NextWave, GenOps, and Energy Imbalance Market etc.) (20%)
- Coordinate with departments outside the SCC, especially Information Technology and Enterprise Telecommunications to secure support for the critical systems used by SCC. Support compliance related activities supporting the SCC operations such as NERC Reliability and Cybersecurity Standards. (10%)
- Support development and modification of real-time procedures and processes used by the System Control Center (SCC). Maintains the associated documentation and coordinates with the SCC staff to implement improvements. (10%)
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Information Systems required; an equivalent combination of experience and education will be considered.
- Five or more years of relevant work experience in supporting control center in their daily operations of transmission generation and distribution systems.
- Experience in supporting Automatic Generation Control application and Energy Market Operations.
- Experience with Open Systems International Monarch EMS Platform or similar application suite is required.
- Experience with OSI Soft PI Data Historian is preferred.
- Experience with Oracle NMS or similar application (Outage Management / Distribution Management) is preferred.
- Experience in computer programming, scripting and application development is preferred.
- Experience in information systems security standards, practices and tools are preferred.
- Through knowledge and experience in SCADA/EMS systems and advanced power system applications
- Through understanding of the electrical system and substations and generation plants.
- Through knowledge and experience in System Administration, Backup Storage, Database Administration, Application Development, Operating Systems, Cyber Security and Networking (eg. ESX, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7, Cisco networking equipment, SQL Server).
- Knowledge and experience in using SCADA protocols (ICCP, DNP 3.0, L&G8979).
- Knowledge and understanding of telecommunication and computer networks used for SCADA.